What is a Community Group?
Holy Trinity Church is one church comprised of four congregations. Each congregation has numerous small groups called Community Groups that allow for us to grow deeper together in our faith.
During the week, Community Groups gather for the following kinds of activities:
- In homes to discus the previous Sunday’s sermon text, pray, and have times of conversation over meals or coffee.
- Some weeks we just gather to eat and enjoy each other’s company by planning a social activity such as a meal, watching a sporting event, attending an art gallery opening, or attending one of the countless events or venues this great city has to offer.
- Periodically, Community Groups serve together as a group at one our affiliated mercy ministries.
How can I join a Community Group?
You may sign up in one of the following ways:
- Online at http://www.htcchicago.org/community-group-sign-up-/
- Contact the church office at (312) 447-0962 or
- Fill out a “Connect” card at one of our Sunday services
Expect to be contacted within two business days about what groups are available and suitable for you.
What Community Groups are available?
Contact the church office.
When do Community Groups begin?
During the fall and throughout the year.
What is the purpose of a Community Group?
Community Groups at Holy Trinity Church help us connect on four levels:
- Connect to God: All people were designed for relationship with God, and God has always been gathering a people to himself. If our community groups excel at the other three points of connection below, but fail to connect people to the one true and living God, then we’ve failed. Ultimately, the only thing that will matter in this life is if our relationship with God has been restored. Through God’s acts in history, He has provided for our redemption through the person and work of Jesus Christ. No matter where you are on your spiritual journey, the others in your community group will be journeying alongside you by studying God’s Word, and collectively you will be learning how to be re-connected with God.
- Connect to the Word: We at Holy Trinity Church are confident that God has spoken to humanity through the Bible, and since God has spoken we need to listen! Therefore, the study of God’s Word is paramount in your community group experience. We believe as Jesus said in Luke 24:44-47, that all of God’s Word is fulfilled in Jesus Christ. Through our study of the Word, we will always connect the text back to the larger story of God’s redeeming acts, culminating in Jesus Christ.
- Connect to other people: Most of us reside in the bustling city of Chicago, but we are often isolated from authentic community. We were made for relationship with each other. Participation in a Community Group will allow you to connect to other people through our common exploration of the Bible and related times of fellowship.
- Connect to the city: We believe God has called Holy Trinity Church to be on a mission for his kingdom. This desire comes from what we have experienced through being in communion with God, and the resulting joy and hope in our life. We want to include as many people as possible to experience our community. God cares about each and every Chicagoan! Consequently, we give of our own time and resources to serve others in Chicago so that everyone in Chicago can be part of God’s community. Community Groups will endeavor to develop participant’s hearts with a desire to serve the poor and disenfranchised.
I have more questions!
Please contact Pastor Tom Barrett and he will gladly help you plug into one of our Community Groups. Phone 773-844-3663 or